4.17.2013

beautifying

i've been changing up my makeup routine to use LESS makeup, but get a better effect. i've also been attempting to get a good cleansing ritual down, to not overly aggravate my acne-prone, reddish-undertoned skin. it's also very important to me that my makeup last as long as possible, as i refuse to carry it with me throughout the day like a sherpa. so, here are my tricks!!

first, the japanese know what they're talking about when it comes to beauty. buy this. you can get it in japantown, in any japanese drug store. you only need a pea-sized amount (or smaller!) and it whips up into a lovely lather. cleanse for one minute. yes, one whole minute. you'll love it, i promise:

second, i use tea tree oil toner. i'm not picky on my toner, and i actually prefer to use the oil itself. (they sell this at Trader Joes/hippie shops)

third, i'm a primer gal. i love all sorts of primers! prime me! primers all the time! BUT the best primer for putting on your face is this:

yes, it is 45USD. yes, that's a lot of money. yes it erases your pores. you're welcome.

i can't show you my fourth step. lately, i've been developing my own foundation, since Kiehl's discontinued my favorite tinted moisturizer, and my skin is pale. very pale. in fact, it's rare that i "match" any particular color. so, to make up for this, every few weeks i squeeze BB cream (some i got at the drug store - nothing fancy - i think it's L'Oreal?!), Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation, primer (lately, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer,) moisturizer with SPF (again - nothing specific, but i love Kiehl's everything) into a little jar and mixing it all up until it's a color i like. the benefit of this is that not only does it match my skin, it's also significantly lighter in weight to a traditional foundation. it's infinitely buildable as well, which i love. get creative - try it out. especially on a weekend. go to japantown and buy cute little jars from Daiso to put your new foundation in.

fifth, i just started using the multiple that's been around FOREVER from Nars. i love it. yes, i still wear "orgasm." no, i'm not 22. it looks the best on me, what can i say. it comes in a lot of lovely colors, and can be used on lips, and THEY claim eyes, but i find it makes my eyelids greasy.

sixth, i use Makeup Forever HD Microfinish Powder. i actually mix that with bare escentuals bronzer that my mom gave me once, for the teensiest bit of shimmer/color over it. again, i like experimenting to find just the right balance and the right color of makeup.

seventh, i do the EYES. yes, the EYES have it! lately, i love highlighting the inner corner of my eyes with a white liner for a bit of brightness. i also use this just below the brows. then, i use a simple nude eyeshadow (one from smashbox) to finish the eye look. if i'm feeling particularly fancy, i line the upper lids with the same Aqua Eyes pencil in black from Makeup Forever. i finish off with as much mascara as i can humanly put on my lashes before they get sticky. loving the Buxom Lash by Bare Escentuals lately, but i am not loyal to any mascara, since they all kind of suck.

i finish off the brows with Anastasia Brow Wiz. this is the bomb.com, no lies. i have patchy eyebrows and this is super easy to use and looks natural.

another VERY IMPORTANT BEAUTY ITEM is the following:

warning: this is like rubber cement. once you put it on, whatever you put on top of it will stick. forever. you will need makeup remover if you mess up, so i only recommend it if you have a steady hand. THAT BEING SAID it's amazing, and makes your eye makeup last all day/night.

what AMAZING products do you have in your arsenal that i need to know about?!

No comments: